- If you see 5 fleas on your pet there are 95 immature fleas (eggs, larvae and pupae) in the house and yard.
- Adult fleas live 10 to 60 days: 1 female flea can lay 150,000 eggs in her lifetime.
- Flea allergy dermatitis is the most common animal skin condition in the world.
- There is a difference between fleas on a pet and flea allergy. Flea allergy is an allergic reaction to flea saliva. 1 flea can set off intense itching. If a pet is not allergic it may have many fleas but only mild scratching. Flea allergy dermatitis is characterized by intense itching, redness and hair loss along the back, thighs, tail, head and under the tummy. Scratching, biting and licking may remove the fleas making it harder to diagnose their presence.
- Fleas suck blood. 72 fleas can consume 1 ml of blood in a day. Kittens and pups can die of flea anemia.
- Fleas are intermediate hosts for tapeworms and are carriers of several infectious diseases.
- YOU CANNOT GET RID OF FLEAS UNLESS YOU TREAT ALL PETS IN THE HOUSEHOLD AND ALL ASPECTS OF THE ENVIRONMENT.
EAST SHELBYVILLE ANIMAL CLINIC
731 MOUNT EDEN ROAD
SHELBYVILLE, KY 40065
IF YOU CHOOSE TO TREAT FLEAS YOURSELF
A GUIDE TO FLEA PRODUCTS USED ON PETS
Monthly products are available from your veterinarian. They have a high level of safety, effectiveness and quite low potential for toxicity. Most will stand up to weekly bathing;
1. Frontline Plus kills fleas, ticks and keeps new flea eggs from hatching in the environment.
2. Advantage kills fleas
3. Advantage Multi prevents fleas, heartworms and some intestinal parasites
4. Seresto collar prevents fleas and ticks for 8 months
5. Promeris kills fleas: for cats only. New product. Time will tell!
Products used weekly or so are generally available over the counter. They have a fair safety profile, fair effectiveness and some increased potential for toxicity. It is extremely important to follow label directions on these products They usually include pyrethrins, permethrins,or carbaryl plus a potentiator such as piperonyl butoxide.
Most 0TC sprays, powders, shampoos, collars and spot-on type products contain these products. They last 1- 2 weeks.